Performance Band Tour Announced
ROANOKE, Va. (January 21, 2015) – Throughout 2015 Jefferson Center’s Music Lab Performance Band Tour will be making stops throughout the region to put on inspiring concerts featuring a wide variety of music from a diverse group of talented teenagers.
The Music Lab at Jefferson Center Performance Band Tour features the following performances in 2015. (Click here to download the tour poster.)
- Blue 5 Restaurant: January 27th at 8:00 p.m.
- June Bug Center, Floyd Music Lab: February 28th at 7:00 p.m.
- Cave Spring United Methodist Church: April 19th at 7:00 p.m.
- Friendship Retirement Community: May 5th at 6:00 p.m.
Jefferson Center’s Performance Band Tour features Music Lab funk band 70’s Fred, The Milberger Section jazz quartet, Corazon Latino, Gabe Morales and the Hip Hop Project. Every performance highlights arts performance, music education, and peer to peer engagement, as well as ethnic and musical diversity.
“This tour is an opportunity for peer to peer arts education that’s not happening anywhere else,” Music Lab at Jefferson Center Director, Dylan Locke said. “As an adult, we can talk to kids about the importance of music all day and hope to get through, but with this initiative young musicians are doing all the talking. They’re telling their peers why music is important in their own life, talking to them about the genre of music they play and then putting on a rockin’ show. It’s pretty incredible to see that level of engagement and interest from the crowds that these students are playing for.”
The Music Lab’s Performance Band Tour is part of Jefferson Center’s “Presenting Arts and Education Initiative”, underwritten by the City of Roanoke Arts Commission in support of the commission’s Arts and Cultural Plan. Additional supporters include the Virginia Commission for the Arts, Freedom First Friendship Retirement Community.
The plan, developed by the Roanoke Arts Commission with area residents, artists, and cultural leaders, was developed to showcase Roanoke as a vibrant and prosperous community where innovation in arts and culture engages people in all aspects of life, while contributing to sustained economic growth and development.
The Performance Band Tour supports the three building blocks of the plan identified by the commission, specifically:
1. Vibrant Region – Healthy Economy: Jefferson Center’s tour strengthens the cultural economy and fosters sustainability in arts and cultural organizations with performances at Stonewall Jackson Middle School, Blue 5 Restaurant, Cave Spring United Methodist Church, Friendship Retirement Community.
2. Livable Communities: Music Lab’s young performers “extend art into neighborhood and neighborhood into the arts” with local performances and the Music Lab at Jefferson Center student recruitment initiatives within every performance.
3. People – Education – Lifelong Learning: The Performance Band Tour encourages lifelong learning and participation through peer to peer music genre education and builds links among area education and visual arts and cultural institutions through student led performances at Stonewall Jackson Middle School and additional venues.
About Jefferson Center
Jefferson Center is a nonprofit cultural center that enriches and educates diverse Western Virginia communities by producing high quality performing arts programs, by providing long and short term rental space for community partners and individuals, and by providing educational outreach. Jefferson Center is focused on maximizing the use of its historic facility as a home for its educational programs, a family of nonprofit and locally owned business tenants, and an exceptional performance venue for this community. Visit http://www.jeffcenter.org for more information.
Ari Hoenig featuring Judi Jackson
Fri, Mar 24
Met Opera Live in HD: Idomeneo
Sat, Mar 25
MUSIC & MEDICINE: FEATURING DR. KAMAL CHÉMALI & PRISCA BENOIT
Sun, Mar 26
The Bad Plus
Thu, Mar 30